“Every human being has the right to inhabit their bodies in a way that they choose.”
The convergence of Amber’s 30 years in humanitarian work, 40 years of yoga practice, and 20 years in Somatic Psychology, Dance/Movement Therapy, and other body-based therapies has inspired a body of work that she regularly teachers globally. Amber’s expertise is in Restorative Movement Therapies, bridging new research to clinical, body-based approaches to psychology, healing and restoration; and self-exploration with fluid, liberating movement practices.
Amber’s unique components based Poto Mitan framework for trauma and resiliency is named for the center space or place that serves as deep healing in the spiritual and healing tradition of Haiti, as taught to her by one of Haiti’s most beloved Mambo’s. Spiritual practice and traditional healing, neuro-scientific research, clinical theory, and 22 years of applied practice in intense and often dangerous contexts equally inform this framework. The framework, while developed through work with refugees, asylum seekers and others displaced by violence, war, torture, and other extreme forms of interpersonal trauma and human rights violations is relevant for all types of trauma.
Primary influences on this framework are the Polyvagal Theory, Somatic Psychology, Dance/Movement Therapy, Body-Mind Centering, Continuum, indigenous healing practices, Contemplative Psychology, Eco-Psychology, Hatha Yoga, Trauma-informed Yoga Therapy and years of experience in complex humanitarian emergencies, disaster and humanitarian response work, refugee resettlement and torture treatment. This framework, along with Restorative Movement Psychotherapy (RMP) – its clinical and practical counterpart – is taught through the Body as Voice series.
Explore below for more details about Amber’s therapeutic approaches:
- Polyvagal-informed Movement TherapiesPolyvagal-informed Dance/Movement Therapy is at the heart of Restorative Movement Psychotherapy. Innovated by Amber based on 20+ years of idea-sharing and collaborative teaching with Dr. Stephen Porges, it is referenced in several chapters (references provided below) and podcasts (also below). This emergent body of work is always in process and responsive to what’s current in […]
- Somatic & Dance/Movement Therapy Based Clinical PsychotherapiesRestorative Movement Psychotherapy (RMP) is unique in its integration of the Polyvagal Theory, movement as primary language, dance as creative expression, with mindfulness and arts based therapies. This holistic approach focuses on the creative process and embodiment as focal to the restorative process. This psychotherapeutic practice does not focus solely on somatic awareness or theory; […]
- The Untamed Body Moving TherapiesAmber met Emilie Conrad in 1998, through their shared passion for Haitian dance and tradition. Now proudly a Continuum teacher aligned with the Continuum Teachers Association, she honored Emilie’s request that she develop a program to teach Continuum for advanced practitioners working with trauma, and for survivors of trauma. Polyvagal-informed Continuum manifests in Radical Freedom: […]
Selected Trainings, Workshops, and Retreats:
* All can be tailored to your context and audience.
- Body as Voice: Restorative Movement Psychotherapy for Survivors of Trauma Training Series
- The HeArt of Embodied Resilience
- Restoring Core Rhythmicity: Polyvagal-informed Movement Therapies
- Roots, Rhythm, Regulation: Ancient Practices for Modern Healing
- Rhythm, Regulation and Reciprocity: Cultivating Clinical Intuition and Reciprocity
- Radical Freedom: A Polyvagal-Informed Continuum Master Class for Trauma
- Tending the Helper’s Fire: Somatic and Mindfulness based Self Care Practices
- Tending the Helper’s Fire: Organizational Approaches to Staff Support
- Compassion Resilience: A Self Care Playshop
- Trauma and The Moving Body: Our Clients, Our Selves
- Dancing the Wild Home: A Restorative Movement and Whale Encounter Retreat
- Continuum at The Edge: Moving Through Uncertainty & Change with Grace & Ease
- Fluid Heart, Open Mind: A Contemplative Continuum Approach for Mindful Change & Heartfull Action
- Elemental Continuum
- Stirring the Stars: Embodying the Three Anatomies of Continuum
For a full list of past and current trainings, workshops, retreats, and events, click here.
To apply to the program and register for courses, click here.
Additional training programs where Amber’s expertise is offered:
- The Kint Institute // New York, NY
- Southwest Dance/Movement Therapy Collaborative // Austin, TX
- Westcoast Dance/Movement Therapy // Vancouver, B.C. Canada
- First Aid Arts // Seattle, WA
- Yoga for HumanKIND // Melbourne, Australia
- Foundation House // Melbourne, Australia
- 92Y Harkness Dance Center // New York, NY
- Continuum Australia®
Subscribe to Amber’s mailing lists to receive email announcements on upcoming trainings, workshops, and more: